There is confusion between ‘twin flame’ relationships and ‘soulmate’ relationships. The difference is that a soulmate feels like a perfect match – they are just like us, while a twin flame feels like a mirror to our own personality – they are opposites. So what is a twin flame relationship? How will you recognize it, and will it be good for you?
Why a Twin Flame is Not Your Soulmate
Your soulmate is for life. A soulmate relationship rarely breaks up. A soulmate is your helpmate, support and true love. A Twin Flame is a teacher. They may come and go, then disappear for ever. Yet you will never lose the connection that was formed.
Some people meet their soulmate and never meet a Twin Flame. Sometimes it’s the other way round.
How to Recognize a Twin Flame
The connection is instant. You know it the moment they walk into a room, even if you have never set eyes on them before. The atmosphere becomes charged and your senses heightened. You are aware of where they are and you know they are aware of you in the same way. You know, without a doubt, that this is ‘different’.
Signs of a Twin Flame Relationship
- Twin Flame relationships are intense. They are as destructive as they are passionate.
- You think they are the ‘One’, but don't understand why it is so painful.
- Twin Flame relationships are on/off; together/not together. This is especially true at the beginning stages.
- You are either ecstatic or in tears. There is rarely a time when the relationship hums along without some major trauma.
- Your Twin Flame changes your thinking; your whole outlook. Your perspective shifts and it feels like the world also changed in a snap. Nothing and no-one looks the same.
- There are often obstacles to the relationship.
- When you are with them and happy, it feels so right.
- When you are with them and unhappy, you fantasize about the perfect murder.
- When you are without them, it feels like your heart has been torn out.
- They feel like a soulmate, yet it doesn’t seem to work like a soulmate relationship should.
- You will purposefully tear down your whole life. For instance, you might change jobs in order to work with them. Break up an existing relationship. Move far from home. You do what it takes to continue the relationship.
- You run from them. When it becomes unbearable, you run. You stay away until your need to be with them again becomes too strong and you run back to them. Then the cycle starts again. Or maybe they run from you. One of you is the 'runner', the other is the 'chaser'.
- You know what they are thinking.
- You love them; you hate them.
- It’s very physical. Your attraction to them is visceral. You want to make mad, passionate love all the time. Yet, you want to hit them when in a fight.
What is the Purpose of a Twin Flame Relationship?
Your twin Flame reflects your own personality back at you. You may see flaws in them, but know that those flaws are also your own. You may see desirable attributes in them; know that you have those too.
Your Twin Flame relationship is an opportunity for you to grow, to learn deep soul lessons. Often, these lessons do not become apparent until years later.
Can a Twin Flame Relationship Last?
Yes, it can last a lifetime. It probably already has. Many lifetimes. That’s why it seems that you instantly recognize them. Here they are again, to help you understand. Here you are again to do the same for them. It’s as though you made an agreement many lifetimes ago, to be your own best teachers. You are the mirror of their soul, as they are of yours.
Most times, they seem to run their course. Once you have experienced all you can experience, they end. It’s usually traumatic and upsetting, but it feels different to all the other times you broke up. There is more relief than regret. You know it’s time to regain a ‘normal’ way of being.
Those that stay together seem to go through certain stages: initial attraction, honeymoon period, disagreements and arguments, running away, coming back togather and resolution.
Why is a Twin Flame Relationship So Volatile?
Twin Flame relationships are the way they are because they are showing you aspects of yourself you’d rather not see. You are being held to account, your imperfections reflected right back at you and they are hard to deal with. The relationship demonstrates to you exactly what you want from another person and also exactly what you don’t want.
Can Twin Flame Relationships Help You?
Yes, having experienced a Twin Flame relationship, you can begin to rebuild your life and be in new relationships with a different perspective. You are able to see things from the other person’s point of view. You are more sensitive to others’ needs. Somehow you are tougher but softer at the same time. Your Twin Flame relationship helped you to grow up, to gain a new maturity and helped you define yourself as a person. You know where your personal boundaries are. You know what you will accept and not accept.
Does a Twin Flame Appear as Anyone Else?
Twin Flames are always lovers. You meet as equals, although it may not feel like that. One usually takes the main role of teacher, but in actuality, you are both teachers in this relationship. You each hold a mirror to the other’s soul. You expose flaws, highlight perfections, and reveal what is hidden in your hearts.
Have you ever experienced a Twin Flame relationship? Are you in one now? Please share your story with us.
Images via Pixabay