Have you ever dreamed you kissed someone? Was it chaste? Passionate? Did you wake up shocked or pleased? Kissing in dreams is very common, and doesn’t always mean what you think it does. Often the dream is metaphorical in that you have an issue to deal with—possibly with that person or someone else. Or perhaps it is simply that you are very attracted to the one you dreamed of kissing.
What Kind of Dream Kiss?
There are many different kinds of kisses. And they vary from culture to culture. In our western world of kissing we have:
- Acquaintance kissing: light, barely there, brushing of the lips, or merely touching cheeks. Sometimes called an ‘air kiss’.
- Friend kissing: a firm kiss on the cheek.
- Parental kissing: usually multiple kisses planted on the head and face of the child. Play kisses on neck shoulders, tummy and feet are also common.
- Close friend kissing: a little more intense than plain friend kissing, but without any passion or sexual connotation. Usually done in fun.
- Passionate kissing: full on, possibly French kissing, reserved for people we love or are deeply attracted to.
Sigmund Freud was convinced that dreaming of kissing was always linked to subconscious sexual desire, but many would disagree with him.
Who Did You Kiss?
This is the first thing to determine. If you kissed someone you didn’t know, it could be that you are consciously or subconsciously looking for love and affection. Depending on the type of kiss, you might be in need of friendship or approval.
- ‘Inappropriate’ kissing. If you dream that you kiss someone passionately who you would never kiss in real life, it means you need to find a better way to communicate with them. If relations between you are strained, try practicing inner forgiveness, which will open up a connection between you. So, for instance, you dreamed you kissed your mother-in-law might mean that you should settle some differences and try to learn how to talk to her more constructively. Mentally forgiving her for any perceived transgressions will help you view her in a positive light.
- Dream kissing your best friend’s partner doesn’t necessarily mean you have a secret longing for them. Your subconscious may resort to a dream kiss to remind you that romantic love is missing in your own life. Or it could indicate low-level jealousy that you have suppressed, in which case, you need to bring that into your conscious mind and deal with it. Or, of course, that secret longing might actually be the reason you conjured up that person in your dream. In which case, it's better to avoid them if you value your friendship.
- If you dreamed you kissed your boss, it means that you desire recognition and respect at work. Or maybe you think they are hot.
- Kissing someone of the same sex if you are not gay, doesn’t mean that you are. Dreams of kissing don’t seem to differentiate between sexes. It is possible you may have unexpressed fantasies, yet it doesn’t follow that you should act on them. Try to determine the kind of kiss before you leap to conclusions.
- Kissing someone you don’t know, a made-up dream person, is fairly common. Depending on the type of kiss, it can mean bestowing a blessing, expressing admiration, a yearning for passion, or giving respect.
How Did You Feel?
When you wake from a kissing dream, you usually feel some emotion. Happiness, confusion, passion, guilt, disgust are indications as to the meaning of the dream. If the dream was vivid, the sensation of kissing may stay with you through the day. If it’s bothering you, think about writing out your feelings about it. Sometimes, it’s possible to self-analyze simply by writing out what the dream meant to you at the time.
The Circumstances in the Kissing Dream
Often the circumstances where the dream kiss occurred can have a bearing on its meaning. Was the kiss in public? In a hidden place? Were you with others, or on your own with the person?
Public kissing indicates that you are not afraid of expressing yourself, even when it’s uncomfortable to do so. This kind of dream may occur when you have an upcoming difficult task to perform like a presentation, interview, or speech. Treat the dream as a good omen.
Secretive kissing usually means you have unexpressed desires or you are trying to hide something. Often it means that you are deceiving someone close to you. Guilt is often the reason for experiencing dream kissing and a clear sign that you have a mess to clean up.
When Someone Kisses You in a Dream
Sometimes a dream kiss can take you by surprise. And that may be pleasant or not, depending on who it is and the type of kiss. If the kiss is forceful and unwanted, it could mean that someone is making you do something against your will. It may or may not be connected to sex.
An unwanted kiss may also indicate anxiety in your life, perhaps about one issue, or more generally. You feel you are being put on the spot, exposed, or not in control. Try to address the problems in a helpful and pragmatic way. It might mean that you need to develop strategies for dealing with certain people and situations.
If the kiss is comfortable and leaves you feeling good, it means your life circumstances are currently satisfying. The kiss is confirmation that all is going well and everything is as it should be.
Kissing Someone Goodbye
When a kiss in a dream leaves you feeling sad and bereft, it could mean that someone you know will be exiting your life in the near future. Or it could be that you broke a promise, or you are feeling regret for your actions or non-actions. It’s your subconscious telling you it’s time to make amends.
Images courtesy of Pixabay